menulinks

About UsOur TeachersArtLiteracyMathScience

Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day! We made these great collagraphs in art at the Fox Hill School Kindergarten that I thought I would share today. 
I learned the technique in my online art class from Deep Space Sparkle this summer. I learned in my class that collagraph refers to the collage board where materials are arranged. I used a pizza box cut into small squares. My teacher had her 2nd graders make the collage boards but I decided to make them in advance for my Kinders. I think it was the correct decision for my little ones because the print making was WAY more fun than making the boards! I cut heart shapes out of foam sheets and foam shelf liner and glued them to the cardboard squares. In my online class the teacher had the kids make flowers and those looked cool too. You could really make any shapes you like and by using different materials to glue to the board, the prints have varying textures.
First I had the kids use gold shimmery watercolors to cover an entire piece of 9 x 12 watercolor paper.
 Then we set those aside to dry while I read The Shape of My Heart by Mark Sperring. Next I gave each child a paper plate with pink, red, white and fushia acrylic paint on it. 
They brushed the colors onto the collage plates and made prints on the gold colored background (which was dry by the time I read the story!)
They LOVED making the prints and their creations look amazing! I had no idea it would be such a big hit. 
Next time I will have them paint several background papers because no one wanted to stop at just one!

If you would like your own copy of The Shape of My Heart, click on the picture below to purchase it from Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment